Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Audience, Purpose & Design

As of right now, most writing that I do is for my teachers, so the audience isn't very broad. There are rare occasions, however, where my writing has been directed towards college admissions boards, or potential employers. On these occasions, the audience to which my writing was directed played a very important role in the way I formatted my writing. Along with the audience to which my writing is directed comes the purpose of my writing. When my writing was directed towards college admissions boards, the purpose is to show what I have to offer that university and to persuade them into allowing me admission into that school. Similarly, when I am writing to a potential employer, I am displaying the qualities that I possess that would make me an asset to their work place or team. Design has played a somewhat significant role in my writing, as I change the design and style of my writing, depending on the audience to which my writing is directed, along with the purpose of my writing. As I get older and broaden my writing, especially the audience to which my writing is directed, I am sure the ideas of purpose and design will become more imporant.

1 comment:

smiley22 said...

You did a really nice job in giving specific examples towards the audience, purpose, and design of your writing. Such examples give me as the reader a very clear idea as to how you write.

~ emily